From the crisp, clean air of British Columbia comes a dip that captures the spirit of the West Coast. This Smoked Salmon Dip recipe is more than just an easy appetizer, it’s a culinary tribute to our spectacular surroundings and the bounty of our Pacific waters.
The mighty Pacific Ocean is home to some of the world’s most incredible seafood, and the salmon is undoubtedly its crowning glory. As West Coasters, we’re blessed to have direct access to this resource, which forms the backbone of many of our local dishes. Smoked salmon, in particular, has been a staple of West Coast Canadian cuisine for centuries, its tradition rooted deeply within our local Indigenous communities.
St. Jean’s Smoked Pink Salmon, a BC favourite, is what sets this dip apart from others. It’s caught from the wild Pacific, hot-smoked over natural hardwood smoke, and canned with minimal ingredients to retain its natural, smoky, and robust flavours. When you open a can of St. Jean’s smoked salmon, you’re not just preparing a meal; you’re embracing a piece of West Coast heritage.
What makes this recipe truly stand out is its simplicity. You only need a few ingredients, and each one brings its unique touch to the table. The softened cream cheese and mayonnaise create a creamy base that serves as the perfect backdrop to the smoky salmon, while the BC red onion and celery provide a fresh crunch that balances the dip’s richness. The fresh dill and parsley not only add a pop of colour but also bring a fragrant freshness that rounds off this dish beautifully.
- Flake your St. Jean’s Smoked Pink Salmon with a fork in a bowl. Don’t forget to include the oil from the can; it’s rich in essential fatty acids that are good for you and adds a robust flavour to the dip.
- In another bowl, whip up a creamy blend of mayonnaise and cream cheese. This serves as the base for our West Coast masterpiece.
- Next, add in your minced red onions and celery. These add a lovely crunch and a touch of local freshness.
- Stir in the finely chopped fresh dill and parsley. These herbs are the magic that adds that unmistakable West Coast touch to your dish.
- Now, it’s time to combine all the ingredients and toss gently. Let all those delightful flavours mingle and create a dip that’s pure Pacific pleasure.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Move the mixture to a serving bowl, then garnish with fresh dill sprigs for an extra splash of green.
And voila! You’ve whipped up a bit of West Coast magic with this Smoked Salmon Dip. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s sure to bring a slice of the Pacific to your table. This is West Coast Canadian cuisine at its finest – enjoy, eh!
While this Smoked Salmon Dip is perfect for serving at gatherings, it’s also versatile enough for a variety of other uses. Spread it on a bagel for a delightful twist on a classic lunch, or serve it alongside some sliced cucumbers and bell peppers for a healthier snack option. The possibilities are only limited by your creativity!
As you stir together these ingredients, you’re doing more than just making a dip. You’re creating a connection to the West Coast, to the rolling waves of the Pacific, and to centuries of culinary tradition.
Now, let’s take a moment to appreciate the final result. The Smoked Salmon Dip in all its glory – creamy, smoky, fresh, and oh-so-indulgent. Just one bite, and you’re transported to the rugged shores of British Columbia, a sea breeze in your hair and the taste of the Pacific on your tongue.
Wild Smoked Pink Salmon Dip
- 1 can St. Jean's Smoked Salmon
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- ¼ cup celery minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh dill sprigs for garnish
- Flake salmon with a fork in a bowl. (Be sure to include oil from the can as they contain essential fatty acids)
- In a separate bowl, blend mayonnaise and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add onions, celery, dill and parsley.
- Combine all ingredients and toss gently.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with dill.
So, next time you’re yearning for a West Coast experience, try your hand at this Smoked Salmon Dip. It’s not just a recipe; it’s a delicious journey through the culinary heart of the West Coast. One thing’s for sure – once you’ve had a taste, you’ll be coming back for more!
Remember, West Coast is not just a place; it’s a way of life. It’s about fresh, local ingredients, simple cooking, and sharing delicious food with the people you love. So, grab a can of St. Jean’s, round up your favourite people, and let’s get dipping, West Coast style!